Going Natural: It's A Family Affair!



When I decided to get the "BC" I never contemplated that my decision would be a family affair. The day I walked through the door, virtually bald, I heard everything from... "What did you do?" to.... "I don't want a natural woman!" All I kept telling them was, "Its just hair!" But, I figured out very quickly that it wasn't just hair. What I did, when I cut my hair, was disrupt their perception of who I was, and what I should look like. Deep down I felt bad about disappointing my family. But, I was on a mission to accept the woman God had originally designed. This included my hair, as well as, my body. I knew that my family would never accept this woman until I had. I have been natural for approximately 9 months now and I cannot tell you how good I feel! Oh, and my family, they have come around (slowly), and now they are actually complimenting me on my "beautiful" "curly" hair. 

2 comments:

  1. Aww a very touching story. You shouldn't have felt disappointed, your on a personal journey and your family should perhaps have respected that. You are still the same person and as you say it is only hair. On the other hand I understand it takes time for yourself and others to adjust to the new look and transition. Through your determination to continue, they are becoming more accepting of natural hair in general. We need to persevere and break the negative ideologies behind natural hair.

    Your hair looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. That really means a lot. One of the reasons I started blogging and reaching out to other naturals via Twitter, FB ect.. is because I had NO support. I want to be that beacon of hope to transitioners and newly naturals. I recently had a conversation with my 15 year old cousin who wants to start transitioning. My grandmother detests the idea. So much so, that she had demanded that she get a relaxer (she lives with our grandmother). This illustrates the resistance I have dealt with. I keep telling her it's ok she will come around... On another note I am letting my daughter get the BC soon! Hopefully, then my grandmother will allow my cousin to do the same. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete