Product Junky to be....... or NOT to be.....?

This was taken before I cleaned out my cabinet..... lol
Hey Everyone, I haven't posted in a while but there's a good explanation for that.... husband + kids + school = exhausted! But, I'm back, and I have a lot to dish! I guess I'll started with being cured from product junkitis ( I just made that word up lol). It all started when I took my kids to the library to get a library card. They signed up for the summer reading program; this gave me some time to browse the shelves myself. I immediately went to the circulation desk to ask where I could find books on natural hair care. She looked at me like I was crazy...... I insisted "You have to have at least one." She pointed me to the cosmetic section. She said shamefully, " If we have anything, it will be over there."

It just so happened, that they did have a total of 6  natural hair books I took them all and started reading. I felt like a kid in a candy store (with a pocket full of money). I read about the chemistry of our hair. I read about the differences between African curly hair v. straight hair. But..... when I reached the sections on which products to avoid and what products to adore, I couldn't believe my eyes. I had been had.

When I first got my big chop, I bought everything I could find that promised: frizz free, tangle free, shiny, curl defining, growth stimulating results. If you reading this you know exactly what I mean. These books, in general, and A. Dickey's book Hair Rules specifically, taught me that its not about how many products you have because no product can do it all. Let me repeat NO product, regardless what it claims, can do it all!

Here's what I understand now.... if you (or someone you love) has naturally curly African type hair conditioner is your secret weapon. Obviously, the more natural ingredients the conditioner contains the more pricey. But you can find conditioner that does a fantastic job really cheap if you take the time to read labels. A conditioner that contains Hydrolyzed protein, as one of its top ingredients, is a good conditioner period. So why spend $10 if you can get the same ingredient in a conditioner that costs $3. Next, you need several types of conditioner, but keep in mind, conditioner has one objective- keep your hair feeling soft.

A deep conditioner should be used every time you shampoo. You can either deep condition as a pre-poo or after shampooing. Instant conditioner is great for co-washing (washing you hair with conditioner only). I personally co-wash almost everday, during the summer, and every week in fall/winter. My hair loves it, and it give me a fresh head to start with. Leave- In conditioners are great to use underneath almost any styling product for added softness and manageability.

Now, let's talk shampoo. Shampoo was created for the scalp. Shampoo cleanses the scalp but one draw back, is that it can strip your hair of vital oil (sebum) that your scalp produces naturally. That is why I recommend that you condition before and after washing. Ok, let's move on to styling products. These were my personal weakness. Whatever styling products you choose should essentially depend on the style you are trying to create or maintain. Personally, all I have left in my stash is styling gel (Eco Styler w/ Argon Oil), leave in conditioner (Taliah Waajid The Great Detangler), some hair grease (Africa's Best),  and curl cream (Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream). The gel I use for styles that require more hold. The curl cream I use for softness, and as breakage barrier. I use the grease for braid outs and twist outs. I hope this helps free you from product junkitis, and save you some money for.... well..... hair accessories. This is my new addiction. Help me somebody lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment