A Great Place to Start: Figuring Out Your Hair Type

One of the most important things I learned early in my natural hair journey was; my hair type. Knowing your hair type (texture) is foundational to everything else you will do (or not do) to your hair. I stumbled up on this information, and I want to spare you the frustration. As I continued to research how to care for my newly natural hair; I began to read forums and websites. I kept noticing that women would frequently put a certain number and letter combination before or after their post (you may have noticed this too). Things like 3c, 4a, 2b... Curious, I searched around and found out that these number/letter combinations were actually referring to hair type!

So, you ask, how can you tell what hair type you have? The easiest way is to go to www.naturallycurly.com. Click on the tab, at the top of the page, labeled Hair Types. There you will find several boxes that reveal certain curl patterns. Then, you click on the box that looks most like your hair in its natural state (free from product). You will see a detailed description about that particular hair type, and several helpful suggestions for product combinations that would be good for your hair. That's it! I hope you have found this post helpful. If so, drop a line and let me know what you found out. Oh, I am a 3c by the way 8 ).

No comments:

Post a Comment